Tuesday 30 March 2021

52 Tags Challenge - Tags 12 & 13

 Two more tags have been completed and I am still enjoying this immensely. The small size of each tag is a challenge that is fun to complete without stretching on over a long time. Each tag is a chance to try a new idea or technique that may lead to more creating.

Tag 12 was another learn a stitch week. This one was blanket stitch which some may also call buttonhole stitch but buttonhole stitch is created in a slightly different way. The prompt provided much food for thought and then it was time to search through fabrics for a starting piece. I had a small section of handpainted calico left from a previous tag that I thought might work well. Not much of the lace I have been using left but on this went and I attached it using blanket stitch. I am very familiar with using blanket stitch to join edges together and as a means of attaching applique but have not explored using it to embellish fabric. What fun to use it this way. It can be overlapped with different colours, The length of the stitch can be varied and it can be used in a straight line or in a curve. It can even create great spirals! I loved trying out different weights of thread as each one changed to stitch slightly.

Tag 12 by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 

Tag 13 was a great prompt. It was entitled Layers. The video prompt suggested a single colour palette but as usual Anne encouraged viewers to follow their own path if they wished. Anne used gold but I decided to go with another of my favourites and looked through the collection for all things pink. 

A trip down memory lane as I remembered what the fabrics had been used for. Some are from the '90s and others are much more recent. One might even be from the the late '80s as I have just spotted it on a cross stitch that I completed way back then.
Tag 13 by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
More time spent with a needle and thread stitching each layer in place and adding some embellishments. I even added a tiny bit of thread weaving. Can you spot it? More time spent looking through the button collection and laces as well.

Have you joined the many over the globe who are exploring with needle, thread and fabric? Please leave a comment with your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment