Monday 29 March 2021

More From a Beginner Quilter

 Time for an update on my quilting journey. I collected another 10 inch square of the required white fabric and cut a 10 inch square of some fabric that caught my eye at a recent swap and sell session.

While at my local stitching group I asked for some tips and tricks for sewing this particular block - a disappearing pinwheel variation. The best tip was the apply some spray starch to the blocks before sewing and cutting to help combat the bias seams.

The next thing I remembered was to slow down by using the half speed button on my sewing machine thus stopping the lead foot sewer from speeding too much.

Slowing down when cutting was something that I also remembered to do.

Attempt 3 by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
Looking better and I tried a different layout but there were still some things that were not quite right. Cutting again was tricky as I did not quite get the measurements correct. I am hoping that this one can be used but if not it will come home with me and be turned into something else. My outside edges were still uneven so on to attempt number 4.

With this one I used plenty of starch and checked that my 10 inch squares matched. I slowed down with my seams and used my quick unpick liberally when my seams were wonky. I went back to the arrow pattern for this last on and all in all was very happy with how it turned out after some seam ripping and resewing.
Attempt 4 by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
What do you think? Have I improved over the four attempts? I have definitely learnt and remembered some valuable sewing tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment