Thursday 5 August 2021

52 Tags Challenge - Tags 28, 29, 30 & 31

 

Tag 28 - Woven and Wrapped Wheels by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
Tag 28 was another chance to learn a new embroidery stitch. This time the stitch was woven and wrapped circular stitches aptly labelled by Anne as Spider Wheels. Having never attempted these it was fun to have a go but I think that a different thread may have been better for the woven wheels. I  kept things simple with a piece of osnaburg that was backed with fusible stabiliser as my backing. I chose to have some fun with my silk threads by trying both a crowded, dimensional woven wheel where I added as many rows as possible around the spokes to get a raised, flower-like finish and a flat wheel. For my wrapped wheel I changed thread colour and like the finish of this one. I had marked my circle with a permanent marker so added the wrapped backstitch around the outside to hide the mark 😀.

Creating with ORTs by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
Tag 29 was a scrappy tag that Anne asked us to create using our ORT collection. For those, including me, who had no idea what on earth ORT was were given a very good explanation by Anne in her video prompt. Some web research also led to me learning that ORT can stand for Old Raggedy Threads in the stitching world while the dictionary definition states that it is a scrap or morsel of food left at a meal. Having also been playing with washaway stabiliser I decided to created a "fabric" with my ORT by sandwiching it between two layers of wash away stabiliser and then using free motion machine stitching to hold it all together. My piece of ORT fabric was plenty big enough to cut out a section for creating my tag.
Tag 29 - ORT (scrappy) by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
What do you see in my tag? I added a smaller piece of ORT and created a "tree" but you may see something very different. I added a button just for another point of interest. My ORT tag ended up less scrappy than on the prompt video.
Tag 30 by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
Tag 30 and the prompt was a brooch. Continuing on with my free motion stitching using my sewing machine I had a go at creating some leaves using a technique I found through The Thread Studio in Perth, WA. No hand stitching until it was time to put my brooch together and also several goes at creating the brooch background as the first one was too blue.

The second part of the challenge was to take a selfie wearing your brooch to post on social media. Balked at that one and found a better model to wear my brooch.

The leaves were created by sandwiching silk fibres between two layers of wash away stabiliser with a leaf shape drawn onto the stabiliser as a guide for both the stitching and where to place the silk fibres. I also added a blossom to my leaves and then created and oval background that also had free motion stitching on it. The tag itself has a wool fabric background with a ribbon for the brooch to attach.

Free Motion Brooch by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 

Expert Model by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
Tag 31 and the prompt was "GOLD". Here was the prompt for all those who love bling. I am not a great fan of gold so initially wondered if I would have things to use. A search through the stash came up with lots of buttons, a little charm and some gold cord so I was definitely able to add bling. I chose one of my hand coloured pieces of fabric for the background with a little bit of wadding underneath. I attempted on of the longest bullion knots I have ever done at the bottom of the tag using a very fine gold silk thread. It took quite a few "belly tickles" to get it to sit right and is still narrower at the ends than in the middle but was fun to try. Loved using the gold thread to stitch with and enjoyed creating this tag after my first concerns about using gold.
Tag 31 - Gold by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
It is almost Friday again and there will be a new video prompt to challenge the worldwide tag creators. Watch the videos and join in the fun. No need to worry about being late to the party - it is just a fun challenge created by Anne for all. Please leave a comment to share your thoughts, especially if you have also decided to join in.

By the way my tag got to Anne and is with all the other great tags that have been posted to her from all over the globe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment