Thursday 20 May 2021

52 Tags Challenge - Tags 18, 19 & 20

 Things have been a little busy but I have found time to continue each week with the tag challenge. Three more tags have been created since my last post.

Tag 18 introduced the idea of paper piecing. This is also called EPP and is a quilting technique that I have not tried previously.  Anne challenged us to incorporate some tiny EPP hexagons into a tag. As with all of the challenges there were suggestions to follow and the invitation to interpret the challenge in any way that suits. This gave me the chance to try out some applique paper from Hugs n Kisses. This is a fusible paper that is 50% water soluble. It gave a good edge to my small hexagons but for this task I probably should have used removable paper pieces as my hexagon piece remained very firm. 

Tag 18 - Paper Piecing by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 

Once the hexagons were pieced I added them to a piece of wool fabric with lace. The last stage was to stitch lines of running stitch across the tag using different types and thicknesses of thread.

Tag 19 came next and the prompt was 'words'. Anne's challenge was to include words and a lift the flap onto your tag. This one took some time as I had some work commitments that took up a lot of the week. I also struggled with the idea of this one before going back to using cross stitch for part of my tag. 

Tag 19 - Words by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 

The tiny words under the flap are stitch, create and make. Three ideas that resonate with me. I love stitching and making things. My tag also has has a background that I hand painted and some of the lace from previous tags. Not much of it left now.

Tag 20 was the next new embroidery stitch. The stitch Anne introduced was Pekinese stitch. I had never explored this stitch and liked that I was introduced to it by a left handed stitcher. So much easier than trying to reverse instructions for right handers. This was a great challenge in its simplicity and the chance to just explore a stitch with some lovely silk threads.

Tag 20 - Pekinese Stitch by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 

All caught up and eagerly awaiting Tag 21. My tag set is growing into a great reference for future ideas.

Do you stitch? Please leave a comment sharing your ideas and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment