Saturday 1 May 2021

52 Tags Challenge - Tags 16 & 17

 More video prompts for the creation of tags 16 and 17. Tag 16 was all about seed stitch and using negative space. Tag 17 was a great introduction to couching.


After watching the video prompt I decided to both have a play with wire shapes and using Inktense blocks to create the colour for my background. I tried rubbing the blocks straight onto a piece of calico and then brushed the fabric with diluted fabric medium. the colours mixed well but I could still see the marks of the Inktense blocks so I dropped another piece of calico over the top and this acted like a sponge soaking up the colour. This piece had the colour without the block strokes - just what I was after.

Next came playing with wire. I cut and shaped rather than folding the wire. Quite tricky to couch down.
Creating with wire by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
Tweezers came in very handy as I needed to couch down each piece of wire so that I could then begin adding seed stitch all around the outside of each shape. In hindsight I should have made the stems slightly wider as it is a little difficult to see them on the tag. I also decided to add the piece to the tag with the leaf shapes hanging down.
Making Progress by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
The wire was only lightly couched in place so it moved a little while I was stitching my seed stitch. As you can see in the progress shots I gradually removed the wires as I went. After I had finished the seed stitching I decided not the stitch in the stems but I marked the fabric with a scorer and this mark has remained so far. 
Tag 16 by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
My seed stitch was done using some silk floss and DMC Light Effects thread that is treacherous to sew with as it is very easy to shred the metallic section off the core. DMC has some good tips for working with this thread on their website. I enjoyed creating this tag and loved having the chance to create negative space using couched wires.

Video 17 was an introduction to couching using rolled fabric and was interesting to try. Some of the designs I have seen online are amazing and show how each prompt can be taken in many different directions to create the finished tag.
Couching in Progress by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
Anne suggested looking at all your tags to find a colour that you may not have used very much. I decided that greens would add to my collection nicely. The couching was easy to manage by following Anne's excellent instructions about using a hoop and it was great fun to roll up the fabric and then attach it to the background. I did slip in some more of my favourite silk topper, a piece of silk ribbon and a little splash of blue. I added a button and tied a sample of all the thread colours I used when couching down the fabric. 
Tag 17 by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 
The video prompt for Tag 18 is also out. I am working on this one and will share when I have finished. Still enjoying this challenge and seeing my tag collection grow.

What do you create? Have you participated in an online sewing challenge? Please leave a comment sharing your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment