Friday 15 April 2022

Creating Leaves with Silk Fibres

 

Leaf by MrsSOnline is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

I have continued my experiments with fabric and thread. I created some leaves with wash away stabiliser, silk fibres and some ORT which were then couched onto a background. 

The background was an experiment with sharpie pens and Isopropyl alcohol where I drew on some calico with the sharpie pens and then applied the Isopropyl alcohol to spread the Sharpie colour across the fabric. I used a large embroidery hoop to stretch the fabric and hold it away from other surfaces while the pigment was being drawn across the fabric with the spreading of the Isopropyl alcohol. An interesting process! Very smelly and best done in a well ventilated area.

With this piece of stitching I also added some lettering which was stitched over with stem stitch and few more smaller stitched leaves to cover an area of the background that was not quite right.

Last of all I add some french knots and other stitches at the bottom of the work before declaring it finished. It was placed in an 8 inch hoop to be hung somewhere.

Have you tried dying fabric? What did you use and how did it work out? Please leave a comment sharing your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment